Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Sunday, 7 June 2015

What if labels did not exist..

In the continuation of my series on labelling, I began thinking about a world without labels. I bet you are asking what do you mean a world without labels. Well, I mean a world without labels such as disabled or labels about ethnicity or gender or sexuality.

It is from this that I realised that labels bring a structure to the world, it is a way to belong in this world, because understand who you are. Does this reason outweigh the negative implications of being labelled as disabled etc? To me I would say yes. I am going to tell you why - from my perspective as a disabled person.

The first one is that it has got me to this point because without my physical impairment being identified, because it allowed me get the support I needed to succeed in my life. It has given me the tools so I can do the best work I possibly could have imagined. It has also allowed me to realise that my strengths may not have been my strengths if society did not identify me as disabled.

The second one is that my differences allow me to see the world differently to others. However, this could be considered my greatest weakness, because I could also be segregated and bullied because I was different to the social norm. For me, there have been many times over the years that the label has outweighed my achievements. For example, you are doing so well and it is remarkably you have got this far. It is my brain that has got me to this point not my disability. It is for this reason that I find this an irresistible reason to get rid of labels because my achievements may actually mean something to those who judged me.

The third is just simply the fact it can frustrate the hell out of me, whether it is the way I am treated or the fact that I will never be able to walk in any form high heel or wear strappy clothing. This frustation makes you want to dive head first into melted chocolate comfort eat your way out. It is then I realise I am who I am for a reason and with a purpose. I need to let it go (ps if the forzen soundtrack came into your head at that point you are my new best friend) and focus on the task at hand - life and show people who I am.

It is on this note that I want to end and say that there are benefits to labels such as disabled is that it provides opportunity to strive beyond the expected and be your own person. To this end my rule #1 in life is if you want something to believe in then believe in yourself. However, the removal of labels could actually put everyone on a level playing field because nobody would be judged. We would all be the same. How boring is that! So, I guess my point is if you are isolated, segregated and even down right frustated with your identity, you are not alone we have all been there. Give yourself a kick up the bum and be the best you can be. In the words of my favourite NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs 'just do good work'.

Have you ever wanted your label to go away and see just you?

No comments:

Post a Comment