Have you ever judged a book by its cover? Have you snorted at the unruly child? Have you ever stared at the small person, person in a wheelchair or with splints on their leg as they pass you on the street? I know I have I am ashamed. It is disregarding a person's story and their identity. What would you do if someone judged you by your most annoying flaw? How would you feel? I know there are times where I have laughed it off, gone home and cried and even sometimes got angry, but my feelings never stop me from being judged because people don't observe, listen and learn to communicate and appreciate one another.
I've been judged for being different. It is not a easy thing to process or deal with, but it is what makes you stronger after the fact, even though it hurts in the moment. Judgement has given me the focus to achieve my dreams. I know I have been afraid of judged, but judgement gives us the chance to realise who we are and who we don't want to be.
So the next time you go to judge somebody who looks, acts or does something different to the expected don't just judge or snort a remark. Have a think about that other person's story and identity. You may never know if you dig a little further, you might find a story that is similar to your own story and identity - a friend.
Spread the love instead of dissing the difference.
Kathryn.
PS - I know you have been making judgements as you have read this piece. Let us see if your judgements match who I am. My name is Kathryn. I have Cerebral Palsy and Irlens Syndrome. They are a part of me and not wholly who I am. It has given me my passion for writing and my dream of becoming a writer. I have been judged but judgements make me who I am and stronger than ever before. What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment