Follow my blog with Bloglovin Follow

Thursday, 9 April 2015

3 lessons I have learned about being disabled

I have recently been thinking about what I have learned in my journey of my acceptance, and developing my identity as a part of this oppressed social group. People go through life learning lessons to be the best they can be or find their identity. Disabled people are no different but sometimes they are harder to accept. My life lessons change all the time but life lessons allow you to grow as a person and become stronger in what you can do than what you can't.

1. The first lesson is that disabled does not exist but impairment does. My impairment is my strength and my livelihood, my career. I know if I weren't me I would not write or have this blog.
2. Criticism is harsh and a part of life but ambition and self criticism are harsher but use it to your advantage.
3. Health leads to success to happiness but it can all be done with love and family.

Life is about learning not about defeat. So in the words of my favourite Special Agent Dwayne Pride from NCIS: New Orleans - 'Go learn things' because you never know how you got.

No comments:

Post a Comment