I decided to write a post about how disabled people are like everyone else. It is just that they may see the world in a different way. It was after having a discussion on whether we should have placement years in university education. It was in this discussion that I was told that I was biased towards disabled people (to which I was quite offended at considering I campaign for equality because that's what disabled people deserve) but this was not point. It would be awesome to have a placement year for all but for disabled people this may not be possible due to logistics and practicalities. I think that unless you live with this difficulty in your life but I am not saying it is a hindrance because it can shape who we are there is a chance you don't see the full picture of reality for a disabled person. Disabled people see the world in a very different way because it is how their mind or body works not because they cannot do something.
So my point is this everyone can actually be the same but the thing I think people does not always see is the day to day living and the thought process in which disabled people have to think. It is that we may want to travel the world and some may even be able to manage but due to their tiredness and dependency on others due to this tiredness it may be not possible till quite a few years after they leave university.
To give you more clarity I have put a link to a video on YouTube for you to watch. It is a Newsround documentary in which young people describe how autism affects their lives. However they never say that they can't do something they describe it in a completely different way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpWWP1HNGQ
Enjoy the post! Speak soon Kathryn x
No comments:
Post a Comment